Anton is an exceptional player & inspirational teacher... and a lot of fun! He is organized & prepared, and so well versed in so many aspects of jazz performance and education... What more could a student want in a teacher?! — Susan Muscarella, Director, The California Jazz Conservatory
Anton Schwartz possess the perfect blend of musicianship; a top-flight saxophonist, an inspired composer, and a professional with a keen sense of the music industry and the jazz community-at-large. His teaching combines these gifts into…
I've really enjoyed your approach in the weekly workout sessions. Your teaching style strikes me as a rare combination of clarity, curiosity, creativity, and practicality. — Michael Gold, saxophonist
Anton is a superb teacher. He listens to my playing and singles out specific areas for me to focus on, which has improved my improvisation dramatically. He is engaging & enthusiastic... — Terrigal Burn, pianist
Anton Schwartz, Jazz Educator
Anton enjoys sharing his love of the music and the craft of jazz with aspiring musicians, both professional and recreational. He has taught extensively at the California Jazz Conservatory, the Stanford Jazz Workshop, the Lafayette Summer Jazz Workshop and the the Brubeck Institute. He has been Artist-in-Residence at Harvard University and the Brubeck Summer Jazz Colony and has mentored advanced high school jazz musicians through the KPLU School of Jazz program and the Bellevue Jazz Festival Rising Stars program. He also teaches privately in Seattle and Oakland.
To stay posted four times a year on Anton’s teaching activities, as well as pointers and thoughts about learning jazz, sign up for his jazz education email list.
Individual Lessons75 minutes ▪ $90
Anton teaches lessons out of his studios in Seattle, Washington and Oakland, California. He works with intermediate and advanced students of diverse instruments who have an interest in some or all of the following:
- Improvising fluidly over chord changes
- Powerful expression through music
- Internalizing advanced harmony
- Fluency in the many idioms of jazz, plus funk & blues
- Saxophone technique, including sound production, articulation, altissimo and inflections.
- The physics of musical sound
- Efficient practice methods for a busy lifestyle
Anton particularly loves working with musicians who have studied scales and chords but are frustrated in their efforts to use those devices to make great solos.
Combo Lessons90 minutes ▪ $120
Anton works with jazz combos at his studio, on either a one-time or a periodic basis. He listens to their playing, points out areas of strength and weakness, coaches them to improve the weak areas during the lesson and suggests ways for them to further develop on their own. He has worked with beginning to advanced groups since 1995, at the Jazzschool, The Brubeck Institute and the Stanford Jazz Workshop, and has taught entire courses and workshops on a great number of the components that go into successful ensemble playing.
Anton is an accomplished & effective clinician.He gives workshops frequently at a variety of institutions.
Below are some of his upcoming teaching engagements.
|May 9 Saturday||
California Jazz Conservatory - Berkeley, CA
“Happy Endings: The Art of Ending a Song”Show More Info
|May 10 Sunday||
California Jazz Conservatory - Berkeley, CA
“Beyond the Blues Scale”Show More Info
11am-4pm (5 hours including a 30 minute lunch break)
|Aug 3 Monday||
Lafayette Summer Jazz Workshop - Lafayette, CA
August 3 – August 7Show More Info
You may also browse a list of workshops Anton has offered in the past.
- Music Paper: Blank Staves Blank music manuscript paper with 10 staves
- Music Paper: Treble Clef Blank music manuscript paper with 10 treble clef staves
- Music Paper: Bass Clef Blank music manuscript paper with 10 bass clef staves
- Music Paper for Piano Blank music manuscript paper with 6 grand staves for piano
- Circle of Fifths Musical reference sheet showing the circle of fifths
- Circle of Fifths (with key signatures) Musical reference sheet showing the circle of fifths with key signatures
- Random Roots Sheet Useful practice tool, along with discussion of how to use it.
- MusicTheory.net Wonderful site for music theory training. Use their online tools or download their free standalone software for Mac or PC.
- Jazz Discography Project Great reference for information about classic jazz recording sessions. Dates, personnel, etc.
- MuseScore Free, full-featured, open-source music notation program.
- Jazz Standards Historical information on the important works of the great American songbook.
- Sax Buyer's Guide Extremely useful guide for those interested in buying a new or used saxophone in person or over the internet.
- Fingering Diagram Generator Interactive online application by Bret Pimentel that generates graphical representations of fingerings for most woodwind instruments: saxophone, clarinet, flute, oboe, bassoon, recorder.
- wikifonia Download or publish written charts—a huge collection of songs! Transpose automatically into any key. Requires only slight caution because the content is donated by users rather than authoritative.
- The Fake Book Index Searchable database lets you know which fake books contain the song you're looking for. A fake book is a bound collection for sale of jazz "lead sheets".
- RealBookListen.com This site points you to original recordings of many important jazz standards -- namely, the tunes in the original "Real Book". You can listen to clips of the originals for free, or purchase the original CDs.
- Tonometric Neuroscience-based musical tests & population statistics: rhythm, melody, pitch
- Clarion Great little ear training program for Macintosh to test recognition of intervals. Download it for free from Red Sweater software.
- Good-Ear.com Interactive ear training over the web. Listen to little audio files and identify them.
- Amazing Slow Downer Great shareware program - takes any CD or audio file and lets you change pitch and/or tempo independently of each other. For Windows and Macintosh.
- TapNTune Combination tuner and metronome for Macintosh. Freeware!
- Crystal Metronome Excellent metronome program for Windows that offers "swung" eighth note subdivisions.
- Stage Plots Web site that lets you easily make stage plots for your gigs.
- EarMaster Shareware program for ear training. For Windows and Macintosh.